Thursday, February 12, 2009

Because why? Just b.cause...

I've become a huge fan of DJ B.Cause in the last 24 hours.  His edits are very simple but so carefully chosen that they border on genius.  If he were a painter, he would be a "Sumi-e" artist where the perfectly chosen brush stroke and shading can make the viewer feel something completely unique.

Some of the vocals that he's chosen are so ingrained in pop culture that it will be hard for many to shed the instrumental they know and hear the new song he creates.  For instance, Sean Paul's "Get Busy" is impossible to hear without the 808 and Jamaican flavor.  After a couple of listens of Sean Paul over Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' track "How Long" (do yourself a favor and experience the late 60's "dap" re-interpreted to perfection) the lyrics actually start to seem sophisticated :).  But I can't argue with any track that has the Daptones rocking it.


The "Rock With You" edit is brilliant because of the juxtaposition of such a modern, after-hours house track with essentially an 80's R&B club banger.  What really makes this work are the proper levels between the instrumentals and MJ.  At first I thought his voice was too quiet, but once I got into the groove I understood why.  It's absolutely perfect for that 3am lounge soundtrack (not that we have any of those in Minneap).


I have NO idea where this instrumental comes from for the Wale edit.  I don't care to research it because I much rather listen to one of my favorite emcee's over and over again.


One of my guilty pleasures is Shawty Lo's "They Know".  You best believe I bought the 12" single the moment it hit stores.  I LOVES THIS TRACK.  This blend breathes fresh air into a track I've listened to WAY too many times.  It turns it from a club banger into a vibe track for the spot (hello New Release Tuesday nights at the Dinkytowner!).


Who can argue against one of the best tracks from the dirty south blended with a beat from the best producer in the north?  Crushin' (Yeeeeeeeeeeeah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment