Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wacked Out Wednesdays featuring "Peppermint Lump"

I started thinking about today's post late and was scrambling for a topic and thought it would be fun to post some relatively obscure tracks once a week.  Since I've only been digging and collecting records for only a year and a half, I still don't have a vast knowledge of music; whether it be labels I like, artists, specific years, etc...  So a lot of the time I buy used vinyl largely based on 2 things:

1) The title of the track or the name of the artist.  I've found that 90% of the time, any song made in the 70's to early 80's with "music", "dance", "funk", "groove" or any variations of those words, or even a phrase that evokes these words is going to be a record that I like.  Similarly, sometimes artists' names can provide a clue as to whether I am going to enjoy the record.  I can't quite pinpoint my thought process for selecting based on names, but trust me, it works.

2)If it's a pic sleeve, a picture or design can foreshadow a lot about the music within.  With records, many times you can judge a book by its cover.

I mention this because the record featured today was one of those records I bought taking a chance on it.  I've never heard of the song, the artist, or the specific label before.  I bought it solely for the title of the song: "Peppermint Lump."  It was too intriguing for me to pass up.


Don't let the intro fool you, it's not some psychedelic 60's pop.  When the electric guitar comes in and the rolling percussion you might think that this could be a folk song.  But you'd be wrong once the adorably cute little English girl's vocal comes in.  Then you don't know what to make of it.  You just know that you're immediately hooked and listen intently as she describes a typical morning with her family and dad bringing her to school.  The lyrics are so innocent and are written from a child's perspective and so fit the cuddly singing.  This is definitely one of my "guilty pleasure" records.


I had pulled out "Peppermint Lump" about a month ago to have another listen.  I had an epiphany when I heard it that time.  I have been listening to so much Baltimore club tracks, that the rolling percussion and the BPM's I just knew word work perfectly with a Baltimore beat I had on a Tittsworth & Ayers' breaks record.  So I had a little fun and threw a beat over it.  Of course when my hard drive became full recently I started frantically deleting MP3's and deleted my best recording of it.  Although it still lives on my myspace page.  So i quickly made a pass at it again tonight.  It's not as polished as my other one, but you'll enjoy it just the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment