Thursday, February 26, 2009

Brother Ali Getting Bigger (not in size; in taste)

Ever since Brother Ali's sophomore album The Truth, dude has been getting a lot of well-deserved national exposure.  Despite his amazingly poetic lyrics, incredibly unique and precise flow, and a voice that can even hold a melody, I never thought his music would be as far-reaching as it has become.  He's been in some major magazine interviews, on national television, and featured on tracks with some serious emcees (and held his own I must add on every one including the Freeway joint that was no small feat).  As I was paging through the latest Source I noticed another track that he's featured on that I was unaware of.

Ali's last 8 bars are beautiful.  It was a great choice and gesture to break the beat down for his last 4 bars: "What is it about you that you/ have to capture that which you cannot master??/  If you can't grasp it you attack it/ trap it, slam it in a cage and latch it. /Everyday that you hold me in bars/ is another day I can't teach your soul to soar./  Here both of us are, linked to the song,/ and when you hear a caged bird - sing along!"

Zion I feat. Brother Ali, "Caged Bird (Pt. 1)"

Based on the title alone, I was half-expecting to hear Slug throw down on verse three.


Here's a throwback (2000) Ali joint that's more lighthearted. It can be found on DJ Abilities' ...for persons with dj abilities (much more on this king of the turntables later, especially since he also reps for Minneap)

No comments:

Post a Comment