Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blue Gardenias


I just picked up an exquisite record today: Dinah Washington, The Jazz Sides.  It's self-explanatory: a compilation of Dinah Washington's best jazz records.  What really got me excited was finally figuring out the sample to Dag Nabbit's "Blue Gardenias."  Don't hate.  It would've taken me a quick google search to find it if I had looked.  I had just completely forgot about the track off of Foreign Beggars' Asylum Speakers album.  I had picked it up while I was in England last winter on an excellent recommendation from a gallery curator in Canterbury.  Sadly, Dinah Washington hasn't been on my radar until now.  I'm pretty sure she has done a different, more common recording of "Blue Gardenia."  This is an excellent example, though, and you can still hear what was sampled in her first refrain.


I can't say enough about this instrumental.  It's really flipped but just as beautiful in a creepy way.  I've definitely put this on repeat for a couple of minutes before.  Enjoy!

Dag Nabbit, "Blue Gardenias" from Asylum Speakers
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment