Friday, March 13, 2009

Recluse/Recloose

Photobucket
I've been reclusive this past week or so.  I apologize to my fanbase.  My energy has been spent trying to record a perfect, live, all-vinyl hip-hop mix and then beating myself after I fail for the dozenth time.  It's coming.  Be on the lookout.  I decided it would be best to take a break from the tables and give you guys some lovely new music.

How appropriate is it to make a post about a band named Recloose after being away for a while?  It just so happens that the new tracks that I'm digging this week are from this funky collaboration.  I picked up the band's latest, Perfect Timing (won New Zealand's Best Electronica/Dance Album of 2008), in my magic promo pile earlier this week and have given it multiple spins.  What I know is that the music is made in large part by Matthew Chicoine: DJ, producer, multi-instrumentalist and funky guy.  He teams up with some great artists to make certifiably funky boogie jointies.  If his stuff were a little dustier, I would have sworn this was straight out of the late 70's/early 80's.  There's a little bit of everything on this album: R&B, funk, boogie, and disco.  I'm only going to post my two favorite tracks though I highly recommend this whole album.


This is by far my favorite track.  It was right down my alley once I heard the synths twirking and the slap bass in the opening bar.  Then it went and gone blew my mind as Tyna comes in with a super mellow voice and setting the lady straight while still keeping his composure, "...I don't care/I don't give a fff/No, I won't swear."  The echo of "emotional funk-funk-funk-funk" at the end of the first refrain is an example of a little thing, but proves the artistry of the group.  Usually the word "funk" is used to describe positive, cool things in a funk track.  That little echo and the delivery of "emotional funk-funk-funk-funk" helps deliver the message that the subject matter of the song is the garbage nobody needs in their life.


Everything great about positive dance tunes can be found in this track: swirling synths, uplifting horns, a funky bassline, tasteful effects, a dance song about a dance party and the fictional (?) hot spot where you can forget your worries.  I'll forgive them for missing a syllable in "sanctury" (sic).  Judging by the attention to detail in the rest of the album, I'm guessing that they mispronounce it on purpose because the extra syllable just doesn't work sonically.  This song gets me rolling my upper body side-to-side every time.  By the song's end I have my plans for the night figured out: I'm heading to The Sanctuary!  You better believe that if I open up a club I'm calling it "The Sanctuary" and this is the last song played every night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment