Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pay Dues vol. 0


The intro speaks for itself, "...if you've got Serato, bravo.  But if you can't cut vinyl records you won't be able to follow me." - KRS-One.

Everything I'm doing right now I consider paying my dues to this craft.  I respect hip-hop and DJ'ing.  I respect the culture, I respect the art form, I respect those who came before me and laid the ground work.  I feel it's important to practice the "old" ways not only to pay homage but also to become better.  When I'm at home, most of my practice time is spent mixing vinyl.  It forces me to work with a smaller library, know my music, and be technically refined.

I'm calling this "vol. 0" because I still feel that I'm at the genesis of it all.  When I have a library of stuff to look back on, this won't be a part of it.  This is the sketchbook used to fine-tune ideas.  It's fun to look and you can catch glimpses of what's to come but it's still not a polished masterpiece.

Here it is.  This was recorded live from the kitchen counter using two thrashed Shure M44-7's, two Tech 12's, a DJM 909 mixer (no effects were harmed, save for the intro) and all vinyl.

DJ B-Rock, "Pay Dues vol. 0" live from the kitchen counter all vinyl mix

Tracklist:

Intro: excerpt from "The DJ," KRS-One from King of the Decks
"Sitting On Chrome (Ummah Remix)," Master Ace from J. Yancey, A.K.A.
"Rare Species," Mobb Deep from Soul In The Hole soundtrack
"One Mic (instrumental)" + "Shook Ones (acapella)" = "That Anthem" DJ B-Rock live blend
"Low Budget Allstars," Kev Brown, Kenn Star et al. from Port Authority
"Find A Way," A Tribe Called Quest from The Love Movement
"The Red," Jaylib from Champion Sound
"Till I Retire," Pete Rock from N.Y's Finest
"Catch My Breath (World)," Ta-Raach and the Lovelution from The Fevers
"Raw Life," Foreign Exchange from Connected
"Growing Old," Outkast from ATLiens
"Lost Ones," Jay-Z from Kingdom Come
"Sunshine," Atmosphere from Sad Clown, Bad Summer EP

Thanks for listening - DJ B-Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment